You can personalise your messages by using the Merge Field option in MXT. The Merge Field feature allows you to include recipients details, such as their given name, family name and email address in the SMS depending on the personal information uploaded in your Excel contact spreadsheet or stored in MXT contact lists.
The option to include a merge field in your messages appears below the message box in MXT.
Note: you are only able to use merge fields if sending a message via an Upload Send or a Merge Send.
1. Select ‘Send Messages’ on the left-hand side of the MXT menu, then click on 'Merge Send'.
2. Next to 'Send this message as' select whether you'd like to send an SMS or an MMS. The default option will always be set as SMS. If you need to send an image or video, click the MMS option then ‘Select File’ to browse your files and attach the relevant one.
3. Choose the number you would like your message to come from. Click on the ‘From’ dropdown tab and you will see a selection of Sender ID options. You can choose your message to be sent from a shared number, a custom word, a virtual number or the number you used to register your account.
Tip: Replies from recipients can only be received if you select ‘Shared Numbers’, 'Verified Number' or a ‘Virtual Number’.
For more information, please refer to the article What can I use as my Sender ID (From Address)
4. Under 'To', select the previously created contacts and groups or mobile numbers that you would like to send your message to.
5. Enter your message content in the ‘Message’ box. If you wish to use a previously created message template, click on the 'Templates' box to view and use your pre-existing templates.
Note: One SMS is 160 characters. If you use more than 160 characters your message will be split into a multi-part message. Try to avoid using Unicode characters, as they will limit your character limit to 70 characters per SMS.
6. To add a Merge Field within your message content, select from the 'Insert Merge Field'.
Note: To create merge fields, make sure your contact spreadsheet is formatted and matched up correctly. For information on how to do this, see How to upload a contact spreadsheet.
Tip: You can include as many Merge Fields as you want in an SMS.
7. If you would like to save the message you have just created, click on 'Save As Template' to be able to reuse the message in the future.
8. On the right-hand side of the page, you will see ‘Preview Message’. This shows how the message will appear when sent. Here, you can double-check that the information is correct.
9. Finally, send your message. To have your message sent instantly, click ‘Send Message’.
To schedule your message to be sent at a later time, click ‘Schedule this message’ and enter the time and date that you would like it to be sent. Click ‘Schedule Message’ to confirm.